Earlier this month, Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler expressed optimism over whether or not Matt Forte would be in attendance for Bears’ training camp next month.
“I would be shocked if he doesn’t sign his tender by July 15, or whenever it is, and he shows up. It would really be a surprise to me (if Forte misses any training camp),” Cutler said. “At the end of the day, I think Matt knows it’s business. He’s still getting seven-whatever-million dollars to play this year. So he’s gonna show up.”
Those words apparently didn’t sit too well with Forte, who voiced his opinion on Cutler voicing his opinion (haha) on his contract dispute.
While Briggs had Forte’s back, Forte didn’t appreciate quarterback Jay Cutler recently speaking for him.
Cutler said he “would be shocked if [Forte] doesn’t sign his tender by July 15, or whenever it is, and show up.”
“I don’t know, it depends on how we’re doing in the negotiations,” Forte said when asked if he would sign and be in camp on time. “But it kind of looks bad when other people speak for you. [Cutler] doesn’t really know what’s going to happen. He’s not in the negotiations. He’s just being optimistic. He wants me there, I want to be there. But it’s just a matter of what happens in the next couple of weeks.”
What Forte is going through with the Bears at the moment is really no different than what other star players have gone through with their respective organizations in the past. Hopefully, both sides can reach an agreement before training camp begins at the end of July.